St. Nicholas' Church, Hardenhuish,
"The church was built in 1779 in classical Georgian style to the plans
of architect John Wood (the younger), renowned for his designs of
The Royal Crescent and The Circus in Bath. The church was consecrated
on the 4th November of that year by Robert, Bishop of London."
"Sacred to the memory of DAVID RICARDO of Gatcomb
Park in the county of Glocester Esquire MP. He died on the
eleventh of Sept. one thousand eight hundred and twenty
three, aged fifty one years. Also of PRISCILLA ANNE,
his wife, who died Oct. 17th 1849, aged 81 years."
"To the memory of David Ricardo."
"Just beyond the East end of the church stands the Ricardo
Monument, built over a vault containing the coffins of nine
members of the Ricardo family."
The quotations are drawn from St.
Nicholas' Church's pamphlet "Welcome to Our Church".
The pamplet and the photographs were made available by Glenn Hueckel.